Friday 28 September 2012

Chapter 13 - The New Order

Laughing bear gazed across his land. He felt that he had achieved a lot in his time here. It seemed like only yesterday himself and Little feet had been stranded in this foreign place. They had made a life for themselves and had four amazing kids.




Now he was getting older and he felt it was time to look to the new generation. He needed to talk seriously and privately with Albin, so he took him to the fishing spot he went every day.

Once they had arrived, Laughing bear asked "Have you thought about what you are going to do when you leave school?"




Albin shook his head "Not really" he replied "There are so many options , I am not sure what to do."

"You need to decide soon" said Laughing bear "It's only a few months till you leave school. I don't want you drifting, you need a purpose in life. In fact, I wanted to talk to you seriously about your future"

Albin wondered what lecture he was about to receive,





" I am getting on in years now, if I was back with the tribe no doubt I would be dead."

Whatever Albin might have expected it wasn't this, but he said nothing and his Dad continued,

"Our tribe would not have had such an old leader as me and I have been thinking that its time that the younger generation took charge. Your my oldest son and the leadership of the family therefore falls to you."

Albin stared at his father speechless and Laughing bear carried on,

"I want you to take charge, run the house as you see fit. I have kept us all wearing tribal clothes and living simply but now what we do is up to you. Also to help you, is this", and he passed over a cheque to Albin.

Albin looked at the amount and his jaw fell open, he hadn't seen so many zeros together before. 

Laughing bear went on "This came for us, I got someone to read me the letter it came with, it was from a lawyer. It seems some eccentric millionaire died and left us a large sum of money. He had read about us in a paper." Laughing bear shook his head disbelievingly. "We have never even met him, but perhaps he just wanted to be kind, knowing what had happened to us." The money will help you change the house to suit your idea of where we go next as a family. Just promise me you will look after your brothers and sister and that you will marry a good woman and provide me with grandchildren. I would love to have your child sitting on my knee before my time comes."

Albin nodded mutely and then suddenly threw himself at his father and hugged him. He was overcome with emotion. He spluttered out between sobs "I will make you proud, I promise."





"You already have" said Laughing bear with a smile and continued, "Well I guess we should be getting back"

"I think I will go for a walk, I have some serious thinking to do." said Albin and with a thoughtful expression and walked slowly off.

As Albin faded into the distance, Laughing bear felt certain that his son would fulfil all his hopes and that their family was safe in his hands.

3 comments:

  1. Did Albin's "walk" turn into a run and then the plane to California!?

    Albin suddenly has a lot on his hands - the responsibility of the family and the request to get a baby quickly - wow - what a big change...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly boy!

    Yes he is going to have to grow up fast

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the family. You can see Sefu is thinking Pond.

    I think Albin might have preferred a lecture. I'm sure that cheque will help greatly in changing the house for Medieval.

    Albin might have trouble with the finding a good woman to marry as he hasn't had much luck women wise so far......

    Such a lovely story and it’s so sweet that Laughing Bear told Albin he was proud of him. Albin has a lot if thinking to do. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete